Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Wild Wild Life

I sure wish I could find the charger to my camera so I could capture some of the suburban wildlife I've been seeing this week. This morning alone in the back yard, to complement the daffodils and violets and pretty plantlife springing up all over, I saw the following fauna:

- A pair of purple finches perched on the power cord that runs from the house to the garage
- A brilliant, loud male cardinal, which landed on the same wire and scared off the finches
- Two gray catbirds in the flowering crabapple
- Several sparrows
- Several gray squirrels
- A chittery chipmunk
- Chickadees in great quantity
and the most special spotting:
- a large bright-eyed brown bunny, which slowly hopped across the driveway, under the Adirondack chair and across to the neighbors' back yard

I'll have to look up rabbits in my Celtic Animal Oracle. But no matter what sort of omen the Druids may have thought it, seeing a soft, sweet wild thing this morning just felt a little bit magical.

2 comments:

DinsdaleP said...

I sat in the backyard for a while, but Mr. Robin did not show. I hope you can post some photos of the ducklings here.

Starling said...

I couldn't find the ducklings or the goslings (at the Rt. 840 marsh) after we talked, but now that I've myself a *brand new camera* (yay!), I will definitely go looking for them again, perhaps this weekend.